Monday, January 18, 2010

Tip 2 l Because Your Worth It

by Guest Blogger Shirley of ::Wild Blueberry Ink::

Who is your audience? What do you do better than everyone else? Why do you do what you do? What is your inspiration? What makes you stand out? Why do I want to buy your vintage-esque ferris wheel print and not hers? Because I like your style… it’s what keeps me coming back.

Your style is your brand and an essential way to differentiate yourself from the crowd. You want people to look at your items and say… “*insert your name here* made that, I would know her designs anywhere!”. On sites like etsy, developing a fan base is crucial. And you do that by having your own unique style.

What if you don’t have a certain style that stands out????
Then, create one.

Think about it like this:

If you were selling your products in a brick and mortar store, and you had to hire 15 employees… what would their uniform be? What sort of image do you want to portray to the public?? Maybe your store specializes in Granny-chic items. So, you make your employees wear crocheted shawls. Or maybe you sell magic wands, so everyone gets to wear those Harry Potter glasses. You know the ones… and you know the ones because that’s part of Harry’s brand. Throw a pair of glasses and a lighting bolt on anything and you immediately think of that messy haired magician. Find your style. It could be anything… a signature pink bead on the back of every necklace you make… maybe you make all the lights in your photos look like little hearts… or maybe all your drivers dress head to toe in brown. somehow one of they ugliest colors on the planet now all of a sudden makes me feel safe and keeps me asking, what can brown do for me? Thats what a style/a brand does for your business. It builds trust. Wether they like the vintage details of your work or how you the pull cord of all your elegant lamps have little doll parts hanging from them… put your stamp on the item and your customers will keep coming back for more.

Your brand is like your reputation. It’s the reason I don’t trust water bottled by the Coca Cola Company. It’s the reason I would buy a car built in 95… only if it was a Toyota Camry. It’s the reason I don’t think twice about letting my daughter watch any movie released by Disney (even after that Little Mermaid cover scandal). Once you build it you never know what other opportunities may come because of your popularity.

Comment and let me know what your niche is… and don’t forget to link me to your store, you might just be my next Louis Vuitton… and though your spring handbag may be the most horrific thing I’ve ever seen… if you put your initials all over it, I’m going to proudly purchase it because I am a loyal follower and admire your style!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Blog Template by Delicious Design Studio